Monday 30 May 2011

i'd like to, please

Hope #16.

Have a vintage wardrobe.


And I mean inside and out.

I love vintage---I really, really do. After years of watching my sister collect pieces, I have finally grown into the idea. I love the styles, the fabrics, the history. I love the fit, the flatter, the fun (of searching and quite often, being well-rewarded). I like the originality of it and the idea, as I have mentioned before, that I am creating a little less waste---not funding the sweatshops or the one-wear market. These pieces, pieces that have lasted for fifty, sixty, seventy years---they have longevity. And they are so often the marker of just how to make things well.

And if I could have an entirely vintage wardrobe, I most certainly would.

Right now, though, I'll settle for a majority. And I am getting there---slowly---piece by vintage piece.*

*I bought two new vintage things a few weeks ago (and no, I probably shouldn't have)---a fifties polka dot skirt and a fitted green sundress (broderie, too). Both were beautifully hand-made---and beautifully fitting---and they were sold to me by the loveliest, warmest of shop assistants I have ever, ever met. Sometimes I forget that I live in such a city, with beautiful, independent shops.

(I'd Like To, Please posts are inspired by Someday Hopes---a blog about the little (and the big) things we want in life. And the picture above came from this blog. Oh, I am a little bit smitten with those hints of fabric---the colours and the textures look divine).


2 comments:

  1. I second this. All of this. Vintage clothing is amazing, that's so great that you have started to build up a collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you heard of shopruche.com? They have fairly affordable clothing and it's vintage inspired. I have yet to order from there but it's on my "to do" list.

    ReplyDelete